Sunday, March 11, 2007

Adventures in Market Signaling

Over the weekend, it appears that I may have managed to impress a pretty non-sociologist love interest. Of course, this was the result of a fun, platonic acquaintanceship we've had for a few months. While on the surface, this seems to be serendipitous and fantastic, there's a small problem. Her ex-boyfriend is a total scumbag who is reviled by pretty much all of the women in my department for his lecherous chauvinism. He's the type of guy who women with low self-esteem and/or mental issues gravitate towards (incidentally, he had a one-night-stand a couple years ago with the aforementioned stupid cunt). I was always puzzled in regards to why this really cool chick would be attracted to and want to invest in someone so shady. In turn, I have a hunch that her recent interest in me was propagated by the demise of their relationship.

Given the inbreeding in social circles, and that she was so recently linked with the "scumbag" recently, my worries about STD's and just the notion that this woman's decisions may be indicative to qualities "beneath the surface" that I should be very wary of, this unfortunately isn't something I think I can pursue.

On the other hand, I am reminded of Jerry's diatribe on the Seinfeld episode that spoofed their negotiations with NBC, where George's crazy ego compelled him to decline an offer that he should have eagerly and gratefully accepted (and I'm paraphrasing of course), "We have nothing and no other offers! You're insane not to take this deal!"

No comments: