Thursday, January 25, 2007

Better than Christmas as a Kid...

In a fit of opulence, I decided to buy myself a new computer tonight. I've never owned a computer in my life (I'm currently typing on a seven year-hold hand-me-down laptop that's been on its last legs for years). I went really upscale (at least for a grad student's meager salary) with the monitor and bought a 20" digital LCD monitor, as well. I can't wait to download all of the music and movies I could ever want, and run multiple programs without the computer crashing. Most of all, I hope that my monitor will even make my word processor (I'm going to go cheap and use Open Office, at least at first, thereby avoiding as much Microsoft patronage as possible) look stunningly beautiful, and compel me to fill the screen with text beautified with ClearType (in other words, do lots and lots and lots of work on the dissertation), which is supposed to make text on such screens crystal clear.

The worst part of this is the inevitable waiting for my order to get processed through Dell's bureaucracy, put together and then shipped across the continent from Backwater, Texas. It looks like it'll be about two weeks at the least. Until then, I'm still on the laptop, which is so slow and worn down by now, merely typing makes my computer freeze up briefly after each letter...

No comments: