Thursday, July 12, 2007

More Curious Market Signals

When I was at the GNC two days ago, investing an absolutely ludicrous amount of money in protein the other day, I was helped by a very nice man who gave me price discounts and gave me the good side of the deal when it was realized that the price of my super-expensive isolate blend was mislabeled. However, it was bizarre to get health advice from a guy working at a GNC that was at least seventy pounds overweight (nor was he muscular at all). Just like I'm sure Hooters screens their employees based on superficial characteristics, shouldn't GNC sort of be doing the same?

So, figuring I was done with ironic people in the health industry, I had an appointment with a personal trainer yesterday. Sure enough, the guy was friendly, but he had a definite gut too, nor was he all that muscular.

In both cases, the men in question seemed knowledgeable, and everything they said was in accordance with my own research, yet I still felt weird that these were the professionals in the field I ended up interacting with.

The whole thing reminds me of a chronically unemployed acquaintance of mine who responds "I'm a career counselor" whenever she's asked what she does, with an apparent obliviousness to the irony. Of course, I was oblivious to "ironic bodies" before these past two days...

No comments: