Wednesday, April 4, 2007

My New Best Friend?

A friend of mine was kind enough to overlook the most recent draft of a paper that's gone through the review process a few times, and gave me very positive feedback (which I think was sincere, as I think he would have protected me if I had written garbage), and said "You were writing really clearly at the end. I can tell you were pissed off at those reviewers and wanted to shove it down their throats." I'm not sure if "pissed off" is the right word, but I did feel "frantically antagonistic" towards the sentiment that the article might not be published and my sunk cost would be wasted just because of a prickly (and in my opinion, unfair) reviewer.

In a somewhat related development, a couple of colleagues have started acting slightly frosty towards me lately, which is strange, given that I always had a good rapport with them before and used to have great relationships with them both. As I was hoping to access a pittance of social capital via one of them, I figured I'd check to see if things were okay before asking. I did some discreet digging and found out that they're closing ranks in their feminine passive-aggressive manner around the infamous stupid cunt that is the one person on Earth I harbor negative sentiments towards. The whole thing upset me because I basically act like Ned Flanders (well, a less religious and more introverted one) around everybody and go out of my way to be polite and respectful of everyone (I'm a first-born, I want everybody to like me!) and in the one situation that I choose to stick up for myself, I take flak for it (while the stupid cunt gets protected despite being selfish and vapid, even by the admission of the two women being frosty to me).

Anyhow, I am somewhat angry about this, both because I think it's unfair, and I can't fathom how these women can actually believe I'm a bad person all of a sudden. However, it's a good anger, because it's localized and not all that intense. Thus, it is perfect for sublimating into more productive and happy endeavors. Tomorrow, I begin taking it out on my ideas and writing. I have a hunch this will fuel some productive and innovative thinking. The happy-go-lucky-lefty-collectivist sociologist has now been joined by the ruthless, competitive beast that lurks within me. I'll see how long the beast wants to come out and play.

No comments: