Friday, December 8, 2006

The Maiden Voyage and Blog Framing

Considering that I don't entirely know what I'm doing with this blog (or why), I figure I should cut to the chase. I am a grad student in the social sciences who has long been lurking amidst the various realms in the blogosphere and have been sufficiently intrigued to start a blog of my own. I enjoy graduate school, but often feel like it only taps a small portion of the creativity and general activity (don't worry - I believe it contains a less than relatively benign dose of neurosis) that goes on in my head. Hence, here is my forum to sublimate these unprofessional impulses. I also figure that having an excuse to write every day will help cure me of my recurring writer's block.

I've self-consciously decided that I'll start this blog anonymously under a silly pseudonym. As a graduate student, I am well aware of the occupational hazards of blogging. Further, I think blogging anonymously will allow me to be more candid, outrageous and entertaining than if I knew potential employers, colleges, family et al. could come across my posts by googling my name. On the other hand, I realize that I will have to suppress information that gives away my identity, home-town, department, research and so forth. Either way, stuff gets censored and I've decided to censor the "personal" stuff (also because I'm a self-conscious introvert who cringes at the idea of self-promotion or being associated with a grammatical mistake or stupid idea that I threw up here in perpetuity). At their worst, anonymous on-line interaction degenerates into childish flame wars, whereas non-anonymous interaction becomes a platform for self-aggrandizing venting and attention-seeking. So, there are the costs and benefits as I see them, and I'll see if I hit the equilibrium point with these choices and adjust appropriately.

Or, I could drop this project and never write anything in this blog again...

No comments: